Q's hair is two-toned, the left side white and the right side black. Their eyes have different shaped pupils, with the right being a yellow star, and the left a yellow ring. Q wears a small hat tilted to the left, a white shirt and suspenders with a black coat and scarf around their neck, beige shorts with thin red stripes, brown shoes with high white socks that reach their calves, and a red sling bag with what appears to be a cat or dog design.
They always carry their doll, vital to their ability.
Although a child, Q has a twisted, sadistic personality, and revels in the carnage Dogra Magra creates. While they can play the part of a harmless, innocent child, they are quick to 180 into their darkest nature. Their sadistic personality leading to their confinement due to Dazai.
After the Guild abducts them, Q is made to suffer extreme physical and emotional trauma while ensnared in John Steinbeck's ability, which, spread throughout Yokohama, forces them to feel every instance of pain that the trees "feel". The pain overwhelms Q, to the point they snap and curse the entire city. Their breakdown drives them to question God's love for everyone and reveals their own intense hatred for humanity, themself, and their ability, which they never asked for.
- Main article: Dogra Magra
Their ability, Dogra Magra (ドグラ・マグラ, Dogura Magura?), is a mind control curse that curses his targets or 'receivers' by ravaging their consciousness with hallucinations, causing them to attack everyone in sight with no regard on whom they might be; allies or foes, friends or enemies. The 'receivers' are those that "hurt Q", by bumping into Q and causing the razor blades taped to their arms to cut into them. This curse is triggered by mutilating a doll that they carry, which is the source. A blotch in the shape of a hand print appears on the body of the cursed individual. After the doll is mutilated, it apparently regenerates. Thus far, the only way to stop Q's curse is with No Longer Human.
|Dogra Magra (ドグラ・マグラ, Dogura Magura?)|
|Manga Debut:||Chapter 25|
|Anime Debut:||Episode 19|
Q joined the Port Mafia shortly after Osamu Dazai, who is tasked with finding out the child's ability. It's implied Ōgai Mori kept them under his watch. Due to an unknown incident that led to a massive amount of mafia casualties, Dazai had Q locked away.
- Their name Kyūsaku means "old story" (久) (kyū) and "build" (作) (saku)
- Their surname Yumeno means "dream" (夢) (yume) and "field" (野) (no)
- Their name when read in the traditional Japanese way of surname first (Yumeno Kyūsaku) means "A person who always dreams" in the Hakata dialect.
- Main article: Real-life References#Kyūsaku Yumeno
|Kyūsaku Yumeno (January 4, 1889 – March 11, 1936)
- The birthname of the real life Kyūsaku Yumeno is Naoki Sugiyama (杉山 直樹).
- The Dharma name of the real life Kyūsaku Yumeno is Goshin-in Gin'en Taidō-koji (悟真院吟園泰道居士).
- The real life Kyūsaku got his pen name when his father read a story he wrote for a contest. After reading the story, his father described his writing as "something written by a Yumeno Kyūsaku-san".
- Q's demented nature, the hallucinations their ability causes, and their dislike of hospitals all stem from the novel Dogra Magra, featuring an amnesiac psychiatric patient that endures surreal, horrific experiences and experiments in an asylum.
- In the same way that Edgar Allan Poe inspired Ranpo Edogawa in real life, H. P. Lovecraft inspired Kyūsaku Yumeno in real life.
- Q's gender is not specified in canon.
- Bungo Stray Dogs Manga: Volume 7.
- Pixivision Interview w/ Asagiri Kafka & Sango Harukawa.
- Bungo Stray Dogs: Dazai, Chūya, Age Fifteen.
- Bungo Stray Dogs Manga: Chapter 25.
- Bungo Stray Dogs Manga: Volume 8.