Naomi is a teenage girl (roughly 16 or 17 years old) with hip-length black hair that is styled in a side swept hime cut and dark grey eyes.
She wears a standard seifuku with a long skirt that comes just above her knees, as well as black socks that come to the middle of her calves. She also has a beauty mark underneath her left eye.
Naomi is a bold and strong-willed young woman, who never shies away from involving herself in a case, more specifically, ones that involve her older brother's well-being. Despite not being an ability user, she is often embroiled in the agency's conflict, but when told to leave, she mostly refuses.
As a Detective Agency clerk, Naomi is rather intelligent and quick-thinking, even amidst perilous circumstances. She is also shown to be mentally resilient because, in spite of being a near-frequent victim to kidnappings and ability users, she takes it quite well and is outwardly unaffected.
Probably one of Naomi's most prominent characteristic would be her deep-seated love for her elder brother, whom she is always with. When with her brother, she can be both childish and provocative. Her feelings seem to go beyond that of ordinary sisterly love and can be seen as romantic in nature due to a number of questionable circumstances and suggestive remarks. However, be it romantic or platonic, Naomi remains unwavering in her devotion towards her brother and does what she can to protect him from harm's way.
Besides her brother, Naomi is also kind and caring towards the other members of the Armed Detective Agency. She visibly shows concern when the others were contemplating abandoning Atsushi Nakajima during his kidnapping and easily forgives him when he almost lost control of his powers.
Naomi is not an ability user and is therefore incapable of using an ability. However, she has immense endurance for a normal human being, able to survive near-death major injuries from Ichiyō Higuchi's firearm assault after once shielding her brother using her own body.
Naomi lives alone with her older brother, Jun'ichirō. Not much is said about their past or where their parents are. Before joining the Armed Detective Agency, she and her brother were both students.
- The name Naomi is named after the titular antagonist of Jun'ichirō Tanizaki's novel, Naomi, also entitled A Fool's Love (痴人の愛, Chijiin no Ai?). It can be thought that the in-series Naomi's romantically active and rather promiscuous attitude is based off the novel's Naomi, as well as other female characters that appear in Tanizaki's works.
- This makes her one of the only characters not named after an author but rather named after a character from an author's work; Elise being another one.
- Naomi's surname Tanizaki means "valley" (谷) (tani) and "cape, peninsula" (崎) (saki/zaki).
- Bungo Stray Dogs merchandise, 2016 calendar, KADOKAWA
- Bungo Stray Dogs Manga: Chapter 3.