He has an angular, plain face with dark brown bowl-cut. He either wears robes in the orphanage or later: a plain suit (tan overshirt, black dress shirt, and red tie).
He is cold and abusive, from Atsushi's perspective, though he seems to take no joy in being so. He eventually gets to smile when he heard the news about Atsushi saving Yokohama and his character and personality are expanded on a bit more, from a cold and abusive orphanage director to that much more of a adoptive father figure.
The orphanage director grew up in an orphanage where he experienced a hellish life and ruthless violence. After graduating from the orphanage, he and five others joined and worked in the criminal underground during a time of war. Hence, there was a scarcity of supplies, and corpses of children were found everywhere on the roadsides. Moreover, his companions were driven to desperation and died one after another, leaving him the sole survivor out of the group.
He is Atsushi's adoptive father. Their relationship is abusive at best when he is first introduced where Atsushi has nothing but horrific memories of him abusing him during his childhood. However, it has been indicated that the headmaster was a man filled with self loathing for being weak and powerless for not being able to save his friends and projected these feelings onto Atsushi to ensure he wouldn’t end up like himself when he eventually left to the outside world. Dazai has considered the headmaster’s teachings as being unforgivable, yet beneficial to Atsushi who learned to understand human suffering and reject evil as well as have a will to live. It was later revealed that the headmaster wished to praise Atsushi and visit him after he landed in the newspaper as a hero, showing he had some form of paternal feelings towards him. However negative their relationship, Atsushi is shown crying over the complex feelings over his death as he identified him as both an abuser and a father figure.
- (to Atsushi Nakajima) "If an imbecile like you seeks to survive in a world that abandoned you, you must learn to endure pain. If not, you will die in short order."
- (to Atsushi Nakajima) "'Atsushi, do you hate me? So be it. Go ahead. Hate me. Behold! Open your eyes and take a good look! This is the face of the evil! One who causes violence to abuse the weak!"
- (to Atsushi Nakajima) "Outside, there are monsters that make me appear like a tiny ant. And you will be out there someday. When that time comes, continue to hate me Atsushi. Never hate yourself."
- (to Atsushi Nakajima) "Are you up for it? Refuse. He's giving you too much credit. You can't do it. You'll only ever be a useless piece of scum in an orphanage."
- Bungo Stray Dogs Manga: Chapter 39.